It’s really rocking now… loose objects may even be flying… but stay calm and remember the following tips.
- Move to the floor against an interior wall or under a desk or chair and shield your head and
neck with your arms until the shaking stops. Drop, cover and hold on!
- Stay clear of windows, mirrors, hanging objects, tall furniture, large appliances, bookcases and cabinets where heavy objects are stored.
- Always keep shoes near your bed so you can put them on during an earthquake to avoid stepping on broken glass and other objects.
- Keep a flashlight in an easily accessible location near your bed because you could very possibly lose electric power and it is dangerous to grope around in the dark.
- If in a high-rise building, avoid glass walls or windows, protect your head with your arms and watch out for falling ceiling tiles. Drop, cover and hold on!
- Do not use any elevator or run for the exits.
- Contrary to popular belief, a doorway is not the safest place to be during the shaking. It is one of the weaker structures in the house, and there may also be a nearby swinging door that could hit you.